Saturday, July 30, 2011

Shout-out to Crawford's Nursery!

The purpose of this post is just to try to help spread the word about a fantastic nursery here in Oregon that specializes in blueberries. They don't have a website, and it seems like a lot of their business is via word of mouth or u-pick guides in the Pacific Northwest.

I've been going to them for two years now, and the reason I want to call attention to them is not just because of their over 50 varieties of blueberries, but because of all the other types of berries they grow. They have a lot of 'exotics', like elderberries, tayberries, currants, gooseberries, mulberries, and so on. They also grow quince, several types of raspberries (yellow, black, and next year they'll have purple), several cultivars of blackberries (marionberry, boysenberry, loganberry, and several Oregon cultivars), and strawberries. Every time I go there, the owner thinks of something else I might like; today when I was there, he shared that he'd have quinces ready in September, which is just fantastic due to my hobby making jams and jellies.

So, if you're looking for some hard to find berries, Crawford's is the place. Very friendly people, easy to get around in, very good pricing on u-pick, and a fantastic variety. A bit of a drive, but soooo worth it.


What do I do with all the berries I get from Crawford's? I make jam, loads of it! I discovered how much I loved making jam a few years ago. Now, that's all my family wants for gifts, and my family and friends encouraged me to try selling. It's been somewhat successful, but I need to find some street fairs and markets. Currently, I list on Etsy:


Any feedback is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment